Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Reflections from a Housewife

The other night I was getting my hair cut, with my $4.99 coupon at Great clips (Because yes! I am worth a $4.99 haircut.....) and I was telling the stylist I was a mom and housewife. She asked me, "So, what do you do all day??" I have to admit this isn't the first time I have been asked this, but it always strikes me as an odd question, and momentarily leaves me speechless (shock! I know you didn't think that was possible.)

So what DO I do all day. I know I am moving almost constantly. It seems to me I am constantly doing some laundry, cleaning cat boxes (yuck!), doing some grocery shopping, bill paying, playing with the Babe, cleaning up the never ending explosion of toys that follows my walking whirlwind... We might go to the park, or meet someone for coffee on occasion. I really do like to cook. And by that, I mean more than turning on the oven and opening a box. So, I start prepping an hour or so before we eat.

When I am asked this particular question, I feel like it is with a tone of amazement that I could actually find things to do to keep busy, day in and day out. Interesting. Maybe I just hate this overwhelming feeling of having to justify that my current "job" is time consuming, real, and important to someone who I have never met before and just yanked on my earring for the THIRD time.

2 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger Bram Davidson said...

I believe you have one of the most important jobs ever created. I am greatful that my mother had the ability to stay home and keep up with me and my sisters.

I think daycare sucks.

I think mothers are cool.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Thank you Bram!!! I am so grateful too that my mom was home with all of us... all 5 of us.... and somedays I wonder (with just one of my own) how she ever did it...and maintained her sanity!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home