Thursday, March 09, 2006

The old Big Bird, he ain't what he used to be....

A couple weeks ago, I discovered Sesame Street runs in the morning, and its showing allows for me to check my e-mail and drink my coffee, with minimal distractions from my busy boy. However, maybe it is nostalgia, maybe it is like a friend says "memories age like wine" but Sesame Street just isn't cracked up to what it once was. First off, the Hubby and I remember an overwhelming sense of inner city grime and smog when we recall watching Sesame Street. Kind of like the opening scenes to "All in the Family" or "The Jeffersons." You know what I am talking about, the smog and big old cars... but I digress. Anyway, the Street its is so green and clean....

It just seems so structured, and the skits seems so long... I remember seeing lots of different scenes on one episode. Now there is like a 10 minute skit of "Journey to Ernie." Find Rubber Duckie, find Ernie! I want to see Oscar be Grouchy. I want to see Cookie Monster eat cookies, and I want to see The Count, count!! I also don't remember Bert being so darn grumpy and depressing.

I do find it amusing that some of the same people who were on it when I was growing up are still on it! Bob, Gordon and Luis are still hanging out on the Street, just a bit grayer and slower. And you can still get the "letter and number of the day" as well as learn a bit of Spanish along the way, so I guess it's not all bad. Now if they would just bring back 3-2-1 Contact, The Bloodhound Gang and The Electric Company, life would be good

1 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Jege (Jen) said...

I was watching Sesame Street today while babysitting my friend's 5-year-old, and I too was shocked at how "the street" had changed. The first thing I noticed was the complete lack of the urban, NYC-ish quality that I remembered growing up. Hell, it was that wonderful, gritty, urbane texture of it all that made me want to move to a big city (in fact, I commanded my parents to do just that when I was 5....but to no avail). And then. THEN! Who are all of these fucking EXTRA muppets? Elmo? Zoe? WTF?!!!! As far as I'm concerned, Grover, Oscar, & Cookie Moster were more than enough!! These new ones are like the Major League Baseball Expansion Teams of muppets!!!!
And then, the final indignity: Snuffalupagus' voice. It is no longer the "woe is me" eeyore type voice, but a swanky, smarmy, game show host voice. WTF?!!!! And don't even get me started on that goddamn Baby Bear. Oy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home