Monday, September 04, 2006

This weekend involved sewing and sorting through fabric which was my mom's. Those of you who know, know she was a fantastic seamstress. She also never threw a single scrap of material away either... I discovered. I have her sewing machine now. Using it sort of tears at my heart... I guess in the same way the sound of a "putt putt" (2 cyclinder tractor engine) tears at the Hubby's. I wish I knew how many hundreds of thousands of stitches her machine has sewn. I am pretty sure it is at least 40 years old. Growing up, she was always sewing on something. I remember standing over her shoulder watching...probably "helping" in the same way the Guyser "helps" me now... And now this is what I find interesting: I am not sure how I learned how to sew. Maybe she sat me down and taught me the basics. I don't really remember this. Its just like I know what to do. I recovered some cushions this weekend. How did I know how to sew the corners so that the material would lay nicely in the corner of the cushion? Ida know... I must have seen her do it sometime. Someone said to me "I didn't know you know how to quilt." "Me neither." I replied. I don't remember her teaching me all this, but yet I know. Kind of like how the Hubby doesn't remember being taught all about electricity from his Step-Granddad, but he knows all about it...I guess my point is that it is amazing what kids learn, especially when they don't even know they are being taught. Kind of frightening too...........

I miss her so much. Yet with every seam I sew, it is like I hear her voice saying, "It's crooked."... :)

1 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger lady manta rae said...

That was such a heart-felt, but hilarious posting..........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home