Thursday, November 15, 2007

Am I really this *old*

We had a babysitter the other night so we could attend a dinner. One of the surgeons spent 3 months in Afghanistan and had an amazing talk with pictures.... made me cry. But that isn't the point of this post, so I won't digress... (*note* I used a big girl word!! :) We use "B" quite a bit to babysit. She is responsible, a high school senior, has already taken a bunch of classes at the community college. Yeah, she has let The Guyser eat too much crap in the past, but oh well, he is alive and the toys are picked up when we get home, so it works. The thing is, I just find myself thinking about her after she leaves. See, I never feel that *old.* I don't feel much more than in my early 20's. I can vividly remember being 17 or 18, like her. What I was doing, thinking... what I was doing that I shouldn't have been doing. And then I think about "B" and think, she's so YOUNG! That is why she lets the Guyser fill all the cat food bowls with food, including the water bowl, and underneath the exersaucer...... What was she doing? Probably talking on the phone. I know I did. Its just that sometimes I get a side glimpse of my face in the mirror and notice those crows feet are becoming a bit more pronounced or that there are getting to be a couple pucker wrinkles around my mouth....I am not complaining I am old, that isn't it... its just the realization that the people I used to babysit for, when I was her age, were probably younger than I am now!! Its the fact that those "cool" old teachers we had in high school, were probably younger or the same age as I am now.... its just a weird realization. I love who I am , and who I have become. I am so thankful I survived my teens and would never return to them. Its just weird to have experienced the progression from "Miss" to "Ma'am"....

4 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How funny. I was thinking about that today too. How I don't feel "old", but when I look at myself, I think "What the hell????" And it's only going to get better! AHHHHH!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Vashnigyered said...

Hmmm, I think you're babysitter was born when I was a Jr. or Sr. in high school......

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Things you shouldn't have been doing? Hmmmmm! Like driving a really old Caddy with horrible brakes down St. Joe's hill in February? I could elaborate with other things, but...

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger lady manta rae said...

I agree.. where did the time go?? it really didn't seem that long ago... my gosh - it seems like it wasn't that long ago you're hubby was on 45th street and we were enjoying all those things of youth, college.... but my god - it has been 10 years since i graduated from college now... scary......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home