Sunday, December 16, 2007

Seriously, they are just fish

We were doing some Christmas shopping at Fleet Farm today (you know, the epicenter of all fine Christmas gifts) and we walked by this wall, and I mean WALL of fishing lures and paraphernalia. Now don't get me wrong, I like to fish. and hunt. But I guess I have always thought it along the same line as gambling. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. However, I stopped and looked at the vast array of colors and sizes and shapes, at the same time calculating the enormous amount of money hanging on that wall. I looked at the Hubby and said, "Seriously, people REALLY overestimate fish. They have a brain, what the size of......? "A pea?" the Hubby replied. Exactly! Its not like they are these hugely advanced animals you need to "outsmart." They are fish. They swim. They like sparkly things. They eat when they are hungy. And yet the top of the food chain spends a boatload of money every year to "out-think" an animal who will try to eat spit, when it is spat off a bridge.....

4 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Vashnigyered said...

Hey, if I knew the hubby wanted a fish, I could have mailed you Spankie instead of sending him to the septic tank in the sky. I hear goldfish are part of the carp family....

Yah know, I wonder if having all those colorful lures may be pointless. After all, how do know if the fish can even see color??? Someone must have figured out fishermen are dumber than the fish, so let's sell them all these pretty little lures to decorate their fishing lines with.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger lady manta rae said...

As a person with a husband who is a fisherman, I must say, it does seem awfully weird... but, it does get him out of the house for a few hours & he is always very relaxed when he comes home, so I'm good with it... that and he doesn't spend tons of money on it... maybe too much money on the beer for doing it, but not so much on anything else.....

Unless we're talking flyfishing - 'cause I was just talking about ice fishing and boat fishing there, fly fishing - now THAT gets a bit spendy... something about it being an "art???" If you've ever seen me case a fly rod, you'd know there is NOTHING artistic about it.....

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Clarification: The hubby isn't really a fisherman, nor did he want the stuff, we just happened to be walking by the stuff...

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Vashnigyered said...

No??? Well that takes the fun out of picking on him....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home